4th International Yoga Day 2018 | Theme , PM Yoga Awards and History
What is Yog or Yoga ?
Yoga is an invaluable gift of ancient Indian tradition. The word “Yoga” is derived from the Sanskrit root yuj meaning “to join”, “to yoke” or “to unite”, symbolizing the unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfilment.
Event Summary 2018 :
- This is 4th International Yoga Day which was observed on 21st June 2018 .
- Main event organised at Forest Research Institute in Dehradun, Uttarakhand.
- Prime minister Sh. Narendra Modi Performing with Thousands of people in this Venue .
- Theme is – “Yoga for Harmony and Peace”.
History of International Yoga Day :
International Day of Yoga, or commonly and unofficially referred to as Yoga Day, is celebrated annually on 21 June since its inception in 2015. An international day for yoga was declared unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
Yoga is a physical, mental and spiritual practice originated in Bharat or India. The first International Yoga Day was celebrated on 21 June 2015.
The observance of the yoga day was proposed by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his speech at the UNGA, on 27 September 2014, where he said that,
Yoga is an invaluable gift of India’s ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help in well being. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.
Why was June 21 selected to be International Yoga Day?
June 21 is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and has special significance in many parts of the world. Prime Minister Narendra Modi had proposed this date at the United Nations General Assembly 2014.
Guinness world records
The event at Rajpath established two Guinness world records – one for the largest yoga class, featuring 35,985 people, and second for the largest number of participating nationalities (84 nations).
About PM Yoga Awards
The awards would be given in two categories.
The International and National yoga awards. The purpose of the yoga award is to recognize the individuals, groups and organizations who contributed to spread awareness about the yoga and take substantial efforts to reach the goal.
- The winners will be felicitated with of a Trophy, Certificate and a Cash Award
- The value of each Cash Award would be Rs. 25 lakh
- Pm Yoga Awards 2018 : Vishwas Mandlik of Nashik – Individual National Category
- The Yoga Institute in Mumbai – Organisational National Category